Nevada is on Farm Road 1138 two miles east of Lavon Lake in southeastern Collin County. The rich soil and available water provided by Bear Creek attracted settlers to the area as early as the mid-1840s. The first organized community in the area was McMinn Chapel, established in the early 1840s four miles north of the site of present Nevada.
For the most part the residents of the community were the family and friends of its founder, John McMinn. In 1861 Granville Stinebaugh moved to Texas from Missouri and purchased 160 acres of land near McMinn Chapel. Shortly thereafter the town of Nevada was established on his farm and named by Stinebaugh in honor of Nevada Territory, which he had passed through on his way to search for gold in California. The town received a post office on August 3, 1880. Eight years later the tracks of the St. Louis Southwestern Railway reached the community.
In 1889 Nevada incorporated, choosing an aldermanic form of government. From the 1880s to the 1920s Nevada served as a retail market for a small but populous farming territory. The population of the town grew from an estimated fifty in 1885 to 578 in 1920. By 1925 Nevada provided its 625 residents with paved roads, electricity, a telephone exchange, twenty-five businesses, and a high school. On May 9, 1927, a tornado struck the town. Twenty-seven people were killed, seventy-five were injured, and approximately $1 million in property damage occurred. Rescuers tended to the wounded in the shelter of the existing Nevada Baptist Church.
The Great Depression and the mechanization of farming further retarded the growth of the town. By 1950 the population had decreased to 386, and it remained near this figure for the next thirty years. In 1980 Nevada had an estimated 400 residents served by four businesses. In 1990 the population was 456. The population was 822 in 2010.
TODAY, Nevada is on the verge of explosive growth, largely due to the introduction of the Nevada Lakes housing development project and expansion of the Community Independent School district.
To get Census Information for Nevada Texas; U.S. Census 2010 Information
Could Lake Lavon have been named "Lake Thompson Switch?" Who was Josephine? What are the Gumbo Pits and how did Nevada (nuh-vay-duh) get its name?
Where was Milltown and what was the Central National Road?
Answers to questions like that were explored by those who boarded the seventh annual Colln County Cruise under the direction of the Collin County Historical Commission and the County Coalition of Historic Groups.
The Central National Road was the area's first road, extending from John Neely Bryan's crossing on the bank of the Elm Fork of the Trinity River in Dallas County to Travis Wright's landing on the south bank of the Red River opposite the mouth of the Kiarnichi River. The road crossed through Collin County just west of the present site of Josephine and connected with existing roads that enabled international traffic between St. Louis and San Antonio. The road literally put Collin County on the map.
Before it was Lavon, the community was Thompson Switch, named for the early postmaster Elbert C. Thompson. The subsequent name Lavon was from Thompson's son, Lavon "Bud" Thompson.
In the 1840s travelers along a major trail from Bonham to Dallas would camp on the creek near the early settlement of Millwood, site of three mills, a school, a church and the homes of nearly 200 people. the only reminders of the town are some grinding stones and the well-maintained Millwood Cemetery, which overlooks a hilly landscape said to contain Indian ceremonial mounds.
Two stories explain Nevada's name. Granville Stinebaugh bought the original 160-acre site for $480 and chose the name, some say, because he liked the sound of it when he was on his way to California for the 1849 Gold Rush. Others say he chose the name as a reminder of his hometown, Nevada, Mo., which uses the same pronunciation. Stinebaugh's chosen home flourished until May 9,1927, when a tornado ripped through, killing 27 people and injuring 75 more. Rescuers tended to the wounded in the shelter of the Nevada Baptist Church, where the blood stains on pews remain apparent to this day.
When. J.C. Hubbard founded a town in 1888, he named Josephine for his daughter. The Farmersville settler gave the four-acre site to the St. Louis Arkansas and Texas Railroad. Fires razed the town in 1910 and in 1935. Near town, the railroad (since named the Cotton Belt RR) manufactured Ballast Gumbo Gravel by burning wood with a combination of local clay. Long after the large pits no longer produce the synthetic gravel for bedding cross ties, they are popular fishing holes.
Plano Star Courier, April 2005Return to Top